Trimoot's Weblog

Triathetes, running, life

2010 Portland Marathon Race Report – Part 2

Continued from part 1

We are sailing along, it’s raining like mad, everyone’s giddy and talking and just happy to FINALLY be doing the race.  People are lined up on both sides of the street and cheering us on through the darkness and rain.  I yell back, thanking them for even coming out in this mess.

As we cruise through the 1st few miles the crowds thin out, but not too much,  as we do a hard left hand turn onto SW Natio Parkway.  We’re heading back into town again where the crowds are still making noise and cheering us on.  WOW!  It’s really raining!  Amazing!

We turn onto NW Front St around the 5 mile mark and all systems are go.  My right foot started hurting back at the 2 mile mark but each time it pains me I think about my form and really concentrate on getting it right.  I remember everything Dr. Heidi told me, so I really focus on keeping my form and feet running smoothly and in a straight line.  Seems to help, as the pain diminishes each time I focus.

Wow, this stretch is ugly (miles 6 through 11).  Railroad track after railroad track.  And they’re slick!  Had one runner almost go down next to me.  For a while we were warning each other about the up coming puddles and tracks by yelling out, “TRACKS!” or “PUDDLE!” but there were soooo many we just stopped.  And it didn’t really help much in regards to the puddles, since if you moved out-of-the-way, the guy or gal next to you wouldn’t and you’d get splashed with water!  Why am I doing this?  Oh yeah…Boston.

So miles 6 through 11 were pretty uneventful and on the ugly side since it was all railroads cars and tracks.  I did noticed that I dropped back during these miles as I was chatting too much and needed to focus and save my energy.

Around mile 9 I thought to myself, “Okay..I’m getting tired, so there’s no way I can make it the whole way.  I’m just going to hang on as long as I can and then I’ll fade and enjoy (HA!) the rest of the run”.  But it was strange, as we wound our way through some of the neighborhoods on 17th, NW Raleigh, 26th then Wardway, it seemed to break up the monotony of that LONG out and back by the RR tracks and I seemed to be feeling a little better.  And what’s even stranger is between 11 & 12 miles was a small hill.  I could feel it, and went into my “old man shuffle” where I take shorter strides but increase the cadence and it seemed to pull me right up with very little increase to my breathing.  Cool.

So the 13th mile was coming up and I knew we were going to lose our pacer’s Amber and Erica so I pressed towards the front to say thanks to them.  They were all upbeat and wished all of us luck and the next pacer’s took the “Red Lizard 3:45” sign and we said hello to the new guys.

They said they names but I only remember one guys name as Steve. (Not a bad name, ;-)).  Well Steve was all smiles and laughing and saying “Welcome to the 3:45 express to the finish line!”  I was like…pay attention dude.  Not too many were laughing.  We all were working hard and Amber and Erica had gotten us to the 13.1 with a 40 second cushion and this guy was not paying attention.  The next thing I knew were they were pulling away.  I pushed hard to catch up to them and checked my Garmin: We were doing a 8:02 pace!  What?  WHAT THE HECK!  Then someone said we had lost our cushion and were 40 seconds slow!  Great!  Just Great!

Around 16 miles once things had settled back into the 8:30ish pace I asked rather rudely, “Steve!  Are we on pass NOW?!”.  Man I was ticked.  I shouldn’t have been, but the other pacer’s had done such a great job of communicating and keeping the pace rock solid I didn’t want to fail because this guy wasn’t paying attention.

Up ahead lay the “big hill” that leads to the beautiful St. John’s Bridge at the 16.5 mile mark.  Wow..that is one beautiful bridge!

It was still raining pretty hard, probably as hard as it was during the start.  I pulled the hill doing my old man shuffle and I know I sounded like a steam engine, but that’s the way it works with me.  I just bury my head, shorten my stride, and cruise on up.  I found myself passing the 3:45 sign carrier and didn’t care.  I turned onto the bridge and it was beautiful!  Somehow I found the breath to yell!  WOOHOO!  Man!  For some reason that bridge really got me feeling good.  I guess since it was the biggest hill on the course I felt I had passed a  mile stone and that mentally it was all down hill from there!

As I crossed the middle of the bridge I saw Erica and ran up to her shoulder.  I asked if she was still running the 3:45 pace and she said yes.  I then asked if I could run with her since the other pacer’s where doing a terrible job.  (Well, okay, maybe it wasn’t terrible, but I was still mad how they would slow down then speed up and change the pace so drastically)…I just wanted to run with someone who was consistent, and Erica had proved that she was.  She said SURE, come on along.  So two other runners & I tucked in behind her as we turned off the bridge onto Willamette Blvd at the 17.5 mile mark.

Man was it raining! As we splashed our way past the 19 mile mark, I had asked Erica how far she was going.  She had said 22 miles or so.  I told her I was struggling but really appreciated her solid pacing and tips.  On the 1st half of the marathon she was kind of quiet, letting Amber give instructions and warnings (usually about the up coming aid stations).  As I was running next to her she would give me and the other two instructions on how we should handle the hills, both going up and down.  One of the things she said almost didn’t make sense but by this time I was looking for anything that would help get me through.

She said things like, “run lightly”  don’t let your feet smack the road. On any down hills she said, “try to stride out, but don’t over stride.”  She mentioned that by doing this it would help in improving the blood flow.  So I did as instructed, and as we continued on, she would keep us informed as to our cushion.  “Okay, we have a 30 second cushion”  Then she would slowly  increase the pace just a smidgen until we had our 40 second cushion back.  She was amazingly helpful and encouraging.

At the 21 mile mark we were going through a very pretty neighborhood that was on the edge of a cliff and you could look out over the city of Portland.  I didn’t do a lot of looking but I did take a moment to enjoy the view and area. (I think this is where the one couple got married, but I didn’t actually see it happen)

It was also at this time that I knew it would take a miracle for me to finish at this pace.  I wasn’t “dead” but I was getting close.  I made sure I was close to Erica, as I was afraid if she got too far away I wouldn’t be able to catch her.  At one point I came right up to her shoulder and said, “Erica, can I ask you a BIG favor?”, she turned and said, “Sure”.  “I know I’m not going to make without you setting the pace.  Is there anyway you’d consider going all the way to the finish?”.  Wow, how rude!  Here she was, volunteering her time on only her 3rd marathon in her life (young life) and this old geezer has the audacity to ask if she would just about carry him to the finish line!  Shsss!  What a loser!

Well, she looked over and said, “I’ll go as far as I can”.  I said thanks and went back to focusing.

I wasn’t sure if that meant she’d take me all the way but I really hoped and prayed that she would.

I’m not sure if I thought about it then, but I remember when Coach Scott mentioned tying a bungee cord around his waist and then to Brett during the 37 mile ultra we did earlier this year to help Brett during the later miles.  Well I didn’t happen to have a bungee cord with me, but if I did, I would have tied one around Erica, and in a way I did, at least metaphorically speaking.  I just felt if I could stay right on her shoulder  I would be able to  follow her and draft into the finish line.

But as mile 22, 23 and 24 went by I wasn’t so sure about the “metaphorical” bungee cord, I really felt the wheels were very close to coming off.  But man, I was so darn close, I just kept switching to my shuffle and doing whatever I could do get the legs to continue to turn over and over and over again and hoped I could keep close to Erica.

As we came over the Broadway bridge Erica mentioned we very close, only two more miles.  TWO MORE MILES!  Oh ugh..I wish it could have been .2 more miles!  I would watch as Erica and one other guy would slowly pull away from me, and I think it was then that she talked to the only one left with us, and said that if he felt good to go ahead.  I was like NO!  Don’t leave me!  So I dug down and said, please legs, can you give me a little more just so I could catchup with Erica?  And the next thing you know I was on her shoulder again.  This happened over and over again between miles 24 and 25.  I felt like if I could just stop and rest for a couple of minutes I’d be able to run faster, but  I also knew that if I stopped, it would be all over.  BUT I REALLY WANTED TO STOP!

During this time Erica was constantly checking her Garmin and telling me what our cushion was, and as we approached the 26 mile mark, the cushion was dwindling awfully fast!  Where we once had a nice 40 second lead we were down to 10, then 7.

I remembered back near the beginning, it was either Erica or Amber who said, “When you turn the corner to the finish line, it’s going to look like it’s a 100 miles away, but it’s NOT!  Just keep digging and you’ll get there!”

So as we prepared to turn onto 3rd towards the finish line, all of a sudden out of no where comes the 3:45 sign and Steve and the other pacer….and to my knowledge, none of the other 3:45 runners, at least none that I could pick out at that time.  They were FLYING!  I”m like, really, you think after running 26 miles the other runners are going to be able to SPRINT to the finish line just to make the 3:45 cut off?  Wow..there was a lot of emotions going but I was so thankful that I stayed with Erica as I would have NEVER been able to sprint to the finish to make the cut off time.

Just before this I had heard a shout from the sideline and it was my wife.  I was so tired and so focussed I wasn’t able to respond to her, I just kept looking forward and running and hard as I could.  Later, my wife described what she saw, and put it on her Facebook page.  I loved it so much I want to share it here:

“You did amazing dear, even in the non-stop pouring rain. Proud of you! I was
very blessed to see that young lady (the pacer) encouraging you to the finish
line when you looked like you had used up your last ounce of strength and were
suffering painfully. This spoke depths to me of the power God has put within us
to be a help to one another in this difficult race to the finish line of life.
It brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could thank Erica too for all she did for

My wife nailed it…I had used my last once of energy, I really had nothing left.  And as we turned into the finish line Erica kept counting down and encouraging me to push on, keep going, but I don’t recal her ever yelling, just urgent encouragement, saying, You did it!  You made it!

I still didn’t believe her yet..I still hadn’t crossed the finish line and even though it was only a few more steps I still wasn’t sure I was going to make it until I literally fell over the finish line into the arms to two “catchers”.  I couldn’t walk, all I could think was I’ve got to find Erica and thank her!

After a minute or two I was able to stand and walk and I was walking around in circles screaming at the top of my lungs, ERICA!  ERICA!  (Shades of the 1st Rocky movie comes to mind, when Stallone wins his match but is all beat up and barely able to walk and yelling, “Adrien, Yoh, Adrien!”.  I wanted so much to thank her for all she had done for me.  But since she didn’t have a timing chip she had to pull off just before the finish line and I had no idea where she went.  (I have since found her email and sent her a thank you email and guess what?  She’s going to BOSTON just like ME!!!!!!)

Oh, did I mention that?  Yes, I made it!  I made my time of 3:45:06.  Wait a minute, 3:45:06?  Erica?  You said I only had a cushion of only 7 seconds!  You brought me in too fast!  I could have strutted my way in with all the time I had left!  HA!

This has been a dream since 1983 when I ran my 1st Boston unofficially.  I have my log book from back then, and on the back I wrote, “Someday I want to run the Boston marathon officially”.  I just never thought it would take 27 years!

I did it…I can’t believe it.  I honestly did not think I could make the cut off time.  I thought I hadn’t trained long or hard enough, and with my injury three weeks out, I just thought there would be no way.  I had only done two sessions of pool running per Dr. Heidi’s instructions so I dismissed that as a waste of time since I really never felt tired from it.  However, during those two long sessions I would see myself running and running and running Portland, and in my “dream” (while I’m doing the pool running) I never got tired.  I was effortlessly running through the miles, never feeling my legs get tired or sore.  Don’t know if that helped or not but I would just pretend I was running through the streets of Portland for almost two hours while in the pool.  And obviously it did help.

A brief look at my training: Keep in mind that even after Ironman I still did a maintenance level of running so it wasn’t like I was starting from scratch….but maybe pretty close.

Ironman was June 27th, then we fly to Florida and my recovery was Dunkin Donuts and body surfing and one slow, hot run.

On the weekend after our two-week stay I did an Olympic Tri up in Colville called the Tiger Tri, and took 3rd in my age group.  So I guess I still had some left over fitness from all the Ironman training.

So THEN I signed up for Portland only because it was about to fill up and that was July 23rd.  You can read the details here, but basically I ran 15 to 20 miles M-W-F and then on the weekend I did an 8, 12, 15, 18, dropped to 11.5 for recovery, then the 22 miler that I cut short because my foot was hurting.  So, not a lot of mileage, but I did throw in speed work on Wednesdays which I KNOW helped a lot.  Steve and I would jog over to SCC and attempt to run 2 miles of straight aways and walk the corners of the track.  We also through in a hill run up Beacon hill one Thursday but I found the track work really took a lot of out me and made my legs very sore, which tells me, I REALLY needed that track work.

So, probably not the best training schedule to prepare for a marathon, but I think because of all the base I put in early in the year getting ready for the Ultra and then Ironman, did help carry me through Portland.

But honestly?  I wasn’t ready.  I really wasn’t.  I think having a pace group really helps and I hope someday to be able to return the favor for someone.  I think if Erica had bailed at the 22 mile mark, this blog would have been a lot shorter and sadder.

Well, it would be great if I could say it ended there..but it didn’t.

I was whipped, 100% done, gone, kaput!  I had nothing left.  I walked by the food and thought “ugh..none of that looks good”.  I had to keep walking because when I would stopped I would go into oxygen debt and it felt like I had asthma.  So I walked to the end of the food section and was feeling worse.  I mean way worse.  So I started heading back to where the 1st aid station was but on my way back I just about collapsed, and just in time someone caught me.  They asked if I was okay, and I respond, ‘You know…I don’t think I am”.  So another person came by and two of them walked me into the 1st aid tent and the doctors took it from there.

They laid me down on the cot, and asked me all sorts of questions, all I could think about was having someone call my wife so she wouldn’t wonder where I was.  But finally someone said to give me an IV and so they stuck a needle into my arm and started the flow.  I said, “woh..that’s warm”, the guy said, it’s because your cold.  I said, “No, it’s really hot”.  No, no, it’s because you’re cold.  I said, “NO!  It’s VERY HOT”, I screamed.  I did, I yelled!  It was so stinking HOT!  It felt like liquid lava pouring into my vein!  Finally someone grabbed the bag of saline and yanked if from the tube and told the guy to get a new one!  As soon as they put the new one in, I asked, “Is it on?  Is it working?  They said yes.  I said I didn’t feel it and I guess that’s how it’s supposed to feel.

After they had filled me up since I was a quart low, they made me stand up to make room for the next victim, and pushed me towards the massage tables.  YES!

I laid down and after the guy checked a few things out he asked, “Do you know your left hip bone is 1″ higher than your right one?”.  I didn’t know but I did know my back was killing me so he said he would fix it for me.  So he had me lay on my side and then wrung me out like a wash cloth, and SNAP! and “OUCH!”, poof!  I was healed!  Well, at least the pain started to subside.

Once again I was helped up and out into the pouring rain to look for my wife and friends.

I found my wife a little later and she lead me over to where Susie, a good family friend, was sitting on a chair after having finished her 1st marathon!  WOOHOO!  My wife stepped from the road onto the sidewalk and I stood there dead in my tracks.  I looked at the curb and to me it looked like it was about 3 feet high.  I looked left, I looked right, and no where was there a lower curb I could step up to.  I looked at my wife and said, “help?”.

We spent the rest of the day walking all over Portland and finally getting some dinner and a cold Guinness.  Yes!

Bottom line?  This was the most difficult run I had ever done.  To be able to maintain the same pace for 26 miles none stop and make the necessary time to qualify for Boston..was a miracle.


Here’s a couple of pics: One of Erica doing her pacing, and one of me looking terrible at the finish line, and then one after the race.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


October 26, 2010 - Posted by | Athletic, Runner, triathlete

1 Comment »

  1. Paul you did a great job and I really enjoyed reading this, thank you! …And just so we are clear, this was my 3rd marathon 🙂

    Comment by Erica Ogle | October 26, 2010 | Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: