Trimoot's Weblog

Triathetes, running, life

Medical Lake Sprint Triathlon

Another Day, Another Race, Beautiful!

This was my 2nd Founders Day/Frontier Day Medical Lake Triathlon.  Last year I did the race in 1:23:?? and this year was much better at 1:13:45.  HOWEVER…..I had a lousy swim!  I actually stopped twice to catch my breath and try and figure out why I was having such a hard time.  This was my 2nd Sprint in two weeks and both swims were very poor.  TIME TO HIT THE POOL!

But it was a near perfect day: overcast skies, and around 80 degrees.  And I had my wonderful wife along as my support crew and cheering section.  However, she had a little technical glitch and locked her bike with a cable lock she didn’t know the combination to so she missed the start of the race, coming out of the water, and T1 & T2 transitions, but other than that she was a wonderful ….ah…photographer!  Don’t worry, after a call to the police and fire station she was able to get the bike unlocked (cut off the cable) and found me on the running path around the lake where she supplied invaluable support.

As I said earlier, I did not have a good swim.  I must have started out too fast and half way through I was just exhausted and actually started to swim with a side stroke in hopes of recovering a little, didn’t really help.  Finally got out of the water after 9 minutes and 30 seconds of beatting the water.  Ugh…gotta do better!

The T1 transition was much better than the one in Florida, I don’t have the actual time but I would have to guess it was either under 1 minute or just a little over and I have the guys at “” site to thank!  (SOCK SOCK, SHOE SHOE, GLASES, HELMENT, GO!)  Give them a listen as they are great guys and very funny and informative.

The bike ride was pretty good.  I never found someone that was around my same cadence so I really had to focus on pushing myself and not slack off, and for the most part I did.  I did jump on someone’s rear wheel near the end with three miles to go and he helped pull me along for a while. Although I did get passed by a few people I passed more people over all.  Good ride!

T2 was an excellent time, again I’m only guessing as I messed up my Garmin at T1, but I was basically in and out probably under or around 30 seconds.

The run didn’t feel good at 1st, of course it never does, but after 1/2 to 3/4 of mile I sort of got my legs back and started passing people right and left.  Sandy caught up with me about then and gave me some water, support, and even coached me a little to slow down so I could get my breathing rhythm under control.  I was very happy with how many people I was passing.  I remember one guy who passed me on the bike and we kind of went back and forth and he some how got in front of me but I passed him on the run and smiled when I did.  (Does that make me a bad person?)  I even had a lot left in the tank to really push the last 3/4 mile to the finish line.

Other than the swim I was very happy with this effort and this makes two triathlons where I didn’t mess up: No stubbed toe, No flat, No tired legs, and No dirt rubbing on my tire causing me to stop and adjust it.  A good race!

Here’s a pre race report on the way to Medical Lake in the car with my wife.  (Be careful, there is one little scream you’ll have to be ready for): Click Here.
Here’s a post race report, (No screaming on this one): Click
Here are some more photos: Click


June 21, 2008 - Posted by | Uncategorized

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: